Friday, September 2, 2016

Wood Art Bookmarks.

For more details, photos and a list of items used check out the Helmar Creative Team page.

I have been raiding our wood box again.  We have a wood fire and we get wood off cuts from a friend who builds staircases. When the wood gets inside I am always finding bits that I want to paint on. This time it was these thin strips of wood.
They are approx 8 3/4 inches, (22 cm) length by 1 inch, (2 1/2 cm) wide. They are quite thin ranging from about 2 mm.


I sanded the edges first and then it was just a layer of DecoArt Media Gesso and I was ready to let my imagine take over as to what to put on them.


I painted a tree for the background of the owls.  Then I drew 3 owls on book paper and painted the inside, cut them out and used my Helmar Decoupage and Craft Paste to glue them on the branches. Then when this was dry I drew the faces and outlined the owls.


























I painted the cat and flowers with DecoArt Americana paints adding a little bit of stenciling with a TCW stencil for interest on the background.

For the third one I painted the background then used my Helmar Decoupage and Craft Paste to glue some half circles of book paper on. Then I doodled around the book paper to make flowers.  I filled in the petals with white Gesso.

I then got the fan brush out and did splatters (fun stuff) with watered down white Gesso on 2 and added black Gesso splatters to the flowers.
I then sealed them all with 2 coats of  Helmar Crystal Kote Matte Spray this keeps them sealed and protected from fading, yellowing and dust.
I think this project would work well with those wooden paint stirrers too.

Linking this up with Paint Party Friday. Hi everyone.. :)

Have a great day
Vicki-Ann :)

10 comments:

  1. I am super impressed. What a process this is with such wonderful outcomes. I can imagine these decorating walls and bringing such life to the rooms they decorate. Wishing you another creative week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your book marks. Beautiful!
    Happy PPF xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome...love how you have adapted the shapes! Beautiful!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. delightful pieces of art! They remind me of rulers-but pretty and decorated:) Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! Especially using the wood. Thanks for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. Thanks for sharing! I bet my sons would LOVE it if I made them each a personalized bookmark (especially one that would be harder to lose)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so awesome!!!! I also love painting on wood and find myself pulling random scraps from home projects (or hubbys toolbox, he does construction). Something so serene about painting on wood, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow these are really fun bookmarks - they make me want to read for sure

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for the lovely comment..