Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Credit card insert for my notebook cover.

I wanted to have an insert in my notebook for cards so I found another great tutorial from Ray Blake Credit card insert  Well if you know me I do not buy anything if I can make it myself with what I have.. So though ok well I have made the inserts for the books and I had plastic book covers that I use to cut out stencils its really sturdy plastic that would do the job for the cards I thought.. So I have done a little picture tutorial on how I sewed it all together to make my card holder.. 


This is all my pieces cut out and ready to go.  My file folders already have 3 pre scored lines in the middle. So I just folded the outside 2 and measured from there to the size I wanted.. 110cm wide x 210 cm for the height for both sides excluding the middle fold.. So this was the size for my plastic for the cards, then I trimmed 10 cm off the length so it sat just inside the cover.. 

Next I grabbed a card and measured so it would fit and drew lines for my sewing.. 

Printed out some of my art work from my journal, cut to size and glued it to the outside.. 

Sewed the plastic in place with my sewing machine and then I trimmed the outside edges so it was all level.. 


Tried it out in my cover to make sure I did not have to make any adjustments. I made the notches in the sides with my circle punch so I can get my cards in and out easily like Ray did.. My circle punch so did not want to go through all this but It got there with a bit of persuasion. 


Inside view of my card holder with a few copies of my art work cut down to card size.. 




Outside of my card holder. I like the sewing showing but if you didn't you could always glue papers on after the sewing.. 









Top view of it all together I do like how it sits better with the wider middle part.. It seems to hold it all in straighter and neater, more even.. As 2 of my notebooks are watercolour paper they are thicker so think this would be the limit of how much my journal cover could hold.. I would like one of those plastic slide opening ones that you can pop bits and pieces in. Hmm I wonder how I could make that.. 

Have a great day 
Sandy :)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Sandy, wish you lived closer. I don't own a sewing machine and I don't think I could get this right. LOL you did a great job. Love your journal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea!!! I love a girl after my own heart that makes things herself instead of buying them.....you go girl!!!
    Huggsss
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for the lovely comment..